What do you need to consider with regard to coronavirus during your holiday in Austria?
Covid-19: Current situation (18 January 2021)
we are very happy that you want to spend your holidays in Vorarlberg! Your health is our most important concern since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic (Sars-CoV-2 pandemic). With weekly testing of more than 2,000 tourism employees as well as comprehensive protective measures in the companies, we have been able to guarantee a safe holiday in Vorarlberg and the Montafon in recent months.
The Ministry of Health has published the amended entry regulation, which will come into force on 19 December 2020. A mandatory 10-day quarantine period applies to those entering the country. From the 5th day onwards, one can clear oneself with a negative PCR or antigen test. It is possible to leave the country before the end of quarantine if it is ensured that the risk of infection is minimised as much as possible. An appropriate quarantine form must be signed upon entry. It is strongly recommended to have this form already printed out and filled in.
There are still no entry restrictions for travellers from the following countries, provided that they have been staying in these countries or in Austria for the last 10 days: Australia, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, South Korea, Uruguay, Vatican City.
The following persons do not have to undergo quarantine if they can present a medical certificate confirming a negative PCR or antigen test upon entry and the test was carried out no longer than 72 hours ago:
- Humanitarian workers
- Professional travellers (this includes e.g. 24-hour caregivers)
- Persons entering the country on the basis of a court summons
- Medical escorts
- Diplomats with a legitimation card
Entry without restrictions is possible for the following persons (these exceptional reasons must be substantiated in an official inspection):
- Persons entering in the compelling interest of the Republic.
- Transit passengers
- Persons entering or re-entering the country for business purposes within the framework of regular commuter traffic (at least once a month), provided that they are not personal carers (see above).
- persons entering or re-entering the country in the course of regular commuting (at least once a month) for family purposes or to visit their life partners
- persons entering the country for the purpose of obtaining essential medical treatment
- persons crossing foreign territory (e.g. the Great German Corner)
- Persons entering Mittelberg (Kleinwalsertal), Vomp-Hinterriss or Jungholz.
- Entry is also possible without restriction for unforeseeable reasons that cannot be postponed and are particularly worthy of consideration in the family circle, such as in particular serious cases of illness, deaths, funerals, births as well as the care of persons in need of support in emergencies.
For entry in connection with other important events that can be planned in the family circle, such as weddings, christenings, birthday celebrations or the non-regular visit of a life partner, the general quarantine rules according to the entry regulations apply.
May I come to Austria for one day for skiing? The quarantine applies immediately upon crossing the border into Austria. Therefore, day tourism from neighbouring countries is currently not possible.
May I cross the border to go shopping? The entry restrictions of the respective countries must be taken into account. However, when returning to Austria from a risk area, a ten-day quarantine must be taken. This can be ended by a negative PCR or antigen test carried out from the fifth day after entry at the earliest.
Source: Ministry of Social Affairs
All information is subject to error and up-to-dateness!
Documents for download
What we should all observe at all times
Free Covid 19 cancellation insurance
So that you can book your planned winter holiday with a good feeling, the province of Vorarlberg has taken out Covid 19 cancellation insurance for all guest bookings in the 2020/21 winter season.
This Covid 19 cancellation insurance automatically applies to all existing and future bookings in the winter season 2020/21. No action is required on the part of the guest or business for the insurance cover to be valid.
This means for you: Your holiday is insured both in case of illness and also in case of officially ordered quarantine for you and your family members in the common household.
What is the traffic light system in Austria?
The Corona traffic light is an instrument for a uniform, coordinated and transparent approach by the government. It provides information on the risk in a given region and also on the possible measures that will be taken.
This is how the traffic light works:
- Accurate monitoring of key indicators at federal, state and district level
- Expert Committee to assess the situation on the basis of indicators and contextual factors and make recommendations to policy makers
- Alert level is set
- The measures shall be implemented as required
4 colours of the traffic light and their meaning:
- Green: low risk; individual cases, isolated clusters
- Yellow: medium risk; moderate cases, mainly in clusters
- Orange: high risk; accumulation of cases, no longer predominantly due to clusters
- Red: very high risk; uncontrolled outbreaks, widespread dissemination
Current Covid-19 statistics of all of Vorarlberg
Please note: we have researched all our information with the utmost care. Nevertheless, due to the current rapidly changing circumstances, we cannot assume any guarantee of accuracy.